Carnegie Science Center delights, educates and inspires through interactive experiences in science and technology. By making science both relevant and fun, the Science Center’s goal is to increase science literacy in the region and motivate young people to seek careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math). The Science Center also serves as a town square for community dialogue on science and its social implications and seeks to showcase regional science and technology advances. One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, the Science Center is Pittsburgh’s premier science exploration destination, reaching more than 500,000 people annually through its hands-on exhibits, camps, classes and off-site education programs.
We are currently looking for a Demonstration Theater Technician to join our dynamic team! Working with the Exhibit Experience and Theaters team, you will be responsible for the maintenance and functionality of the audio-visual equipment, maintaining user manuals and updating appropriate licenses as applicable. In addition, you will act as a liaison between the Theater Department and other users of the space.
As the Demonstration Theater Technician you will:
• Design and implement sound, AV and lighting elements for new and existing theaters programming.
• Maintain all AV, lighting and sound equipment, making recommendations for upgrades and replacement and conducting all scheduled maintenance.
• Train theater staff on the proper use of all equipment and maintain user manuals updating as necessary.
• Work with exhibit technicians to repair and maintain theater props and equipment.
• Work with the Special Events department and other internal and external clients to fulfill the requirements of their events including walking though theater spaces before the event, making recommendations, setting up prior to the event and remaining onsite during events.
• Take down events setups and inventory and store equipment, keeping track of any equipment loaned to other areas of CMP.
• Work with the events supervisors in each theater to maintain necessary paperwork documenting event needs.
• Assist with the development and editing of digital media needs of the theaters.
• Complete other projects and duties as requested by management.
It’s also important to us that you have:
• A bachelor’s degree or technical degree or equivalent experience
• 2+ years hands-on experience working with technical, audio-visual and lighting systems
• Experience using Cue-based software and sound boards (preferred)
• The ability to handle a flexible work schedule that includes regular weekend work and frequent evening assignments—very important!!
• Excellent communication skills along with the ability to work with a variety of internal and external clients and staff
• Creativity and innovation in implementing audio-visual requirements for a diverse set of presentation and events in a variety of theaters
• A strong “can-do” attitude and creative troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
Physical requirements of this role include:
• Full mobility throughout the Science Center and the various theaters
• Ability to lift 50 pounds, climb tall ladders, utilize lifts at heights of up to 25 feet
• Dexterity needed to repair and set up equipment
• Working in areas where food is processed including nuts, eggs and other dairy products as well as chemicals used for science education.
Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh is interested in candidates who, through their experience and collaborations, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the Carnegie Museums community.
The following PA Act 153 clearances, or proof of application of clearances, are required prior to beginning employment and as a condition of continued employment:
• Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
• Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
• FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check
Obtaining the required clearances is part of the orientation process. However, if you would like more information, please visit http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/clearances/index.htm
Carnegie Museums is an EEO-1 Affirmative Action Employer-M/F/Veteran/Disability.