In support of The New School's groundbreaking growth in online education, this multidisciplinary ed-tech role requires excellent abilities in project management, instructional design, as well as familiarity with video and digital production. Champions in this position possess a love for learning and the academic environment, along with a true commitment to support the great work of The New School's faculty and students.
The New School is a unique institution focused on creative disciplines, so our courses push the boundaries of what is possible in online education. Our online ed team is on the cutting edge of devising new methods for bringing to life our Parsons studio courses, College of Performing Arts classes, and all our multidisciplinary learning experiences. Because our campus is New York City, we work to bring the excitement and sense of place to students online, worldwide.
The Manager in Instructional Design will be an essential part of Distributed Education team, the institution's online ed group (based within Open Campus) and will serve all schools and offices in the university. Currently, there are more than 500 courses for students of varying ages (youth, teen, and adult) and pathways (degree, certificate, non-degree, online learner). Much of the work we will be developing in the next several years will focus on The New School's new online degree programs, but will also touch on our expanding non-credit course portfolio.
We are looking for an innovative thinker who can express and implement creative ideas, is open to trying new things within existing organizational structures, and can diligently deliver results within a tight production timeline. This individual might have some experience in instructional design, but definitely appreciates and has worked extensively in both project-management and the collegiate environment.
● Manage for individual courses all phases of development, in close collaboration with faculty, in a manner consistent with best practices in educational instructional design
● Work closely with faculty to facilitate the creation of cutting-edge courses utilizing video and interactive media to produce engaging and effective learning experiences in humanities and studio arts.
● Assist in the development and implementation of interface design, instruction, innovative multimedia and graphic elements, assessment, and design of course materials and activities; assist in the embedding and formatting of learning objects.
● Collaborate with colleagues in the Distributed Education team to review processes and methods for creating exceptional courses at a fast pace.
● Manage assigned development of online courses and programs within Open Campus as the principal producer of these learning experiences.
● Communicate effectively with the Distributed Education team, Open Campus colleagues, and the Provost's Office to ensure objectives, goals, and deadlines are fulfilled.
● Bachelor's degree, preferably in digital media, fine arts, studio art practice, or education
● 3-5 years experience in project management
● Excellent communication with faculty and understanding of academic process and university structure
● Working knowledge of imaging, multimedia software, social media platforms
● Working knowledge of HTML, CSS and/or other web development technologies
● Ability to manage production, video assets and technical LMS elements
● Experience as an instructor, TA, or student in online courses
● And most importantly: Have an amazing collaborative commitment, where the success of the group reflects best on the individual
Internal Number: 18332
About The New School
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.